Questions to Ask Before Filing Slip and Fall Lawsuit in Florida
It can happen when you least expect it. One minute you’re walking toward your favorite shop in the mall, or to the printer in your office building, or to the next coaster in the local theme park, and the next you’re laid out on the floor.
Slip and fall incidents can happen most anywhere: malls, food courts, grocery stores, hotels, apartment complexes, parking garages, casinos, and more.
Perhaps you fell as a result of a dirty aisle in the supermarket. Or maybe the parking garage owners never got around to fixing uneven pavement. Or maybe your local restaurant did not properly install their floor tiles.
Whatever the reason, if you’ve been injured as a result, you may be eligible to receive financial compensation. Your eligibility hinges on one key concept: negligence. In Florida, negligence (768.81) in this context essentially means that the property owner owed you a certain amount of safety on their property and they failed to do so because of a known issue.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Accidents in Broward County, Florida
These types of personal injury cases come in many shapes and sizes. Dangerous or defective property conditions include:
- Steep or dangerous ramps
- Broken or missing parking bumpers
- Slippery or wet floors
- Loose food, produce or liquids in a supermarket
- Over-polished floors or other slippery cleaning products
- Missing or loose handrails
- Hangers or clothes on the floor in a store
- Loose or missing floor tiles
- Cords from machinery or cleaning tools, like a vacuum
- Cracked or uneven sidewalks
- Overgrowth of vegetation in a walkway
- Loose electrical wiring
- Loose or torn carpeting
- Broken or missing stairs in a stairwell
These accidents can cause injuries that are more serious than first thought. Falls can cause concussions, whiplash, back issues and other spine injuries, in addition to broken limbs. Indeed, falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries for all of those in the United States, no matter the age.
Questions to Consider Following a Slip and Fall Accident
If you’ve been injured as a result of your fall, you are likely facing serious medical bills. You may also be facing lost wages because you’re unable to work as a result of your fall. What’s more, your family may be depending on you and your income to keep things afloat in your household. Of course, the fall may have led to mental anguish, as well.
If you’ve been injured as a result of a slip and fall accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation. Before you make any decision, consider the following questions:
- Did the property owner, by virtue of owning the property, create the dangerous situation?
- Was the property owner aware of the dangerous issue or scenario, yet left it unaddressed?
- Did the dangerous situation exist for a length of time that it’d be a reasonable expectation for the owner to have discovered and corrected it before the accident?
Contact a respected attorney
It’s completely understandable if you don’t have the answers to these questions right now. Let the trusted attorneys of Boone & Davis help. Contact us today in Fort Lauderdale to learn more about your options and get the justice you deserve.