Fort Lauderdale Truck Driver Fatigue Attorney
Fatigued driving is a serious problem in the trucking industry for several reasons. First, many truck drivers enjoy driving shifts during the night when there is significantly less traffic on the highways. In addition, the faster truck drivers make their deliveries, the greater potential they have to make more money or to get home to their families sooner. Therefore, many truck drivers would likely spend as much time on the road as humanly possible to complete a task.
Unfortunately, driving for too long on monotonous highways can easily result in a truck driver becoming fatigued. Fatigue is cited as a cause in many truck crashes that result in serious injuries to other motorists. If you have been the victim of a truck crash due to a fatigued driver, your first call should be to the office of Boone & Davis to discuss your rights with a skilled Fort Lauderdale truck driver fatigue attorney.
Dangers of Fatigued Driving
Driving while fatigued is significantly more dangerous than many people may realize. Spending too much time behind the wheel without proper rest can affect a truck driver in the following ways:
● Loss of focus and attention to the road;
● Impair judgment and decision-making skills;
● Slow down reaction time if faced with a sudden situation.
● Cause them to nod off momentarily or completely fall asleep behind the wheel.
The effects of fatigued driving have often been compared to the effects of drunk driving, as they cause similar impairments. Furthermore, if a truck driver falls asleep at the wheel, you can only imagine the devastating accident that can occur when there is a complete loss of control of the truck.
Causes of Fatigued Driving
Drivers can engage in fatigued driving for many different reasons, some of which include the following:
● Hours of service violations – To combat fatigued driving, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) sets out strict regulations regarding the number of consecutive hours and days a truck driver can be “in service” operating a commercial vehicle. When these guidelines are violated, fatigued driving can easily occur.
● Health conditions – Many health conditions can cause a driver to be fatigued, including sleep apnea, anemia, kidney problems, heart disease, mental health disorders, and more.
● Medications – In addition to fatigue caused by underlying health issues, some drivers may be prescribed medications or may take over-the-counter products and may be unaware that drowsiness or fatigue is a side effect.
Truck drivers who operate a semi truck while fatigued may be found negligent and liable for any injuries they caused in a resulting crash. Crash victims should not hesitate to discuss their options with a Fort Lauderdale truck accident attorney.
Call Our Experienced Fort Lauderdale Fatigued Driving Truck Accident Attorneys Today
The sooner you call the legal team at Boone & Davis, the sooner we can begin the process of obtaining the compensation that you need for your medical bills, lost wages, and other accident-related losses. Please contact a Fort Lauderdale truck accidents and driver fatigue attorney by calling 954-566-9919 for a free consultation today.