Fort Lauderdale Medical Malpractice Attorney
Helping injured patients recover for doctor, hospital and other medical negligence
Medical malpractice occurs when a patient is injured or killed because of negligent care by a healthcare provider. Under Florida law, medical professionals are negligent when they fail to provide a level of care, skill and treatment that, under the circumstances, is recognized as acceptable and appropriate by reasonably prudent similar healthcare providers.
If you have been injured or have lost a loved one because a doctor, surgeon, nurse, hospital or other healthcare professional failed to provide the appropriate level of care, we have the experience and resources to help you recover just compensation. With more than 35 years of experience, our Fort Lauderdale medical malpractice attorneys at Boone & Davis, Attorneys at Law provide reliable, accessible service to victims of medical negligence in Fort Lauderdale and throughout Florida.
Filing a Fort Lauderdale medical malpractice lawsuit
When you are injured because of medical negligence, you may recover compensation by negotiating for a settlement with the doctor’s or hospital’s insurance company or by filing a lawsuit for personal injury or wrongful death. It is important to file a lawsuit as soon as possible, even if you end up settling your case, because Florida law limits the amount of time you have to sue to as little as two years from the date of your injury or the date you should have discovered your injury. Let our experienced Fort Lauderdale medical malpractice attorneys help you.
To recover for doctor or hospital malpractice, you must provide a verified written opinion by a medical expert that explains the reasonable grounds for your claim. You must also provide proof of certain evidence, including:
- That the actions of your healthcare provider breached the prevailing professional standard of care
- How your injury or loss was caused by this breach
- That the injury was not within the necessary or reasonably foreseeable results of the procedure being performed
Common types of medical malpractice
Our Fort Lauderdale medical malpractice attorneys use our extensive experience, in combination with the support of medical experts, to help victims recover for injuries caused by medical malpractice. We help you hold medical professionals liable for all types of harm, including doctor negligence, birth injuries, nursing negligence, hospital negligence and more:
- Failure to diagnose: Doctors may be held liable for their negligent failure to diagnose a disease or illness, such as cancer or heart disease, which develops into a serious or deadly health issue. They may also be held responsible for a misdiagnosis or an unreasonable delay in diagnosis.
- Surgical errors: Surgical errors encompass a broad range of injuries, including operating on the wrong body part, surgery on the wrong patient, operating beyond the level of consent, unnecessary surgery, negligent incisions, nerve damage, anesthesia errors and leaving foreign objects within the body, such as a surgical sponge or a medical instrument.
- Prescription errors: Prescription errors may be caused by the prescribing doctor, the pharmacy or even the manufacturer when drugs are defective or contain inadequate warnings. Doctors may prescribe drugs without taking into consideration the patient’s medical history, allergies or drug interactions. Pharmacies may mislabel or incorrectly fill prescriptions, fill the wrong prescription or fill prescriptions that interact with others already being taken.
- Nursing home accidents: Nursing home accidents may be caused by abuse, including physical, sexual, verbal or mental abuse, and neglect, including failure to provide for the care, treatment, health and well-being of patients.
How we can help when you are injured by doctor negligence
As highly experienced trial lawyers and negotiators, we guide you through each step of your medical malpractice claim to help you recover the maximum compensation possible given your injuries and the legal caps on damages. Using our network of medical experts, we help develop the necessary evidence and required expert testimony. Our medical and vocational experts also help you establish the extent of your injuries and loss of income caused by the harm you have suffered. During a trial, we use a combination of the skills we have gained in Florida courts over more than 35 years in practice and the latest technology to demonstrate the full weight of your injuries to jurors. In addition, we provide our high-quality services at no cost to you until, and unless, we recover on your behalf.
Contact seasoned Fort Lauderdale medical malpractice attorneys to recover needed compensation
At Boone & Davis, Attorneys at Law, our Fort Lauderdale medical malpractice attorneys are dedicated to helping victims throughout Broward County and the state of Florida who have suffered injuries at the hands of trusted doctors and other healthcare providers. And while we have a history of proven results that includes verdicts and settlements in excess of $1 million, we also have a track record of client satisfaction. To learn more about how we can help with your case, contact us online or call 954-566-9919 today for a free initial consultation.