Fort Lauderdale Auto Accident Attorney
Serving Florida since 1981
More than 235,000 traffic crashes were recorded in Florida in 2010 that involved more than 338,000 drivers, which is an average of 645 crashes each day. Out of these auto accidents, more than 195,000 resulted in injuries. If you have been injured or have lost a loved one in an auto accident because of the negligence of other drivers or because of auto defects, our attorneys at Boone & Davis, Attorneys at Law are dedicated to providing the high-quality legal assistance you need. During their more than 35 years in practice, our Fort Lauderdale auto accident attorneys have developed a reputation for excellence among both our clients and other attorneys — and they have a proven record of success.
Helping victims recover compensation for traffic accidents caused by others
When a motor vehicle accident occurs, it may seriously affect your life. You may be facing expensive medical bills at a time when you cannot work because of your injuries, treatment and ongoing pain or disability. If you have lost a loved one in a fatal accident, you may be facing the unexpected loss of an income earner at a time when you are suffering extensive grief.
At Boone & Davis, Attorneys at Law, we understand how painful and heartbreaking motorcycle, truck and car accidents can be. We provide compassionate, accessible representation, and focus on getting you the compensation you need for medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering, so you can focus on your recovery and your family. With more than 35 years of experience in trial and in settlement negotiations, our Fort Lauderdale auto accident attorneys have the experience and skills you need and the client commitment you deserve.
What to do after an auto accident
After an automobile accident occurs, important steps to take — if you are able — to protect your rights to compensation include:
- Seek medical assistance if you or anyone else is injured.
- Move your vehicle or place cones on the road to prevent further accidents.
- Contact the police in serious accident cases, and report the crash.
- Take notes, including the names and contact information of other drivers and any witnesses.
- Take photos or video of the accident scene with your cell phone, if possible, or make a diagram of the accident.
In addition, speak to an experienced Fort Lauderdale auto accident attorney before talking to anyone else, even if you believe you may be partly at fault, because even innocent statements may be used against you later by other drivers or insurance companies that want to avoid paying your claim.
If you discover injuries after the fact
After a serious auto accident, you may have obvious injuries, such as broken bones or amputation injuries. But many injuries, such as a traumatic brain injury, may not show any symptoms for several days or weeks after the accident. This can create a problem when you attempt to recover compensation from your insurer for your latent injuries. Under Florida no-fault insurance laws, an insurance company should pay 80 percent of all reasonable expenses for medically necessary treatment, as long as you obtain initial medical care within 14 days of the accident. If you fail to obtain medical care within this two-week period, you may lose your right to insurance benefits. This is of particular importance in Florida, where no-fault insurance is mandatory, as it means that drivers have virtually no right to sue for personal injury compensation.
Because of the 14-day limitation, and because immediate treatment may prevent further harm, it is always important to see a doctor after an accident. Our Fort Lauderdale auto accident attorneys are highly experienced at guiding clients through insurance claims, including tracing injuries that are not immediately apparent back to the accident through the use of a network of experts. Plus, with a background in insurance law, our lawyers understand the tactics insurers use to avoid paying claims and how to address them.
Accidents that result in death
Almost 2,300 fatal auto accidents, involving more than 2,400 deaths, were recorded in Florida in 2010. Nine hundred of these involved DUI-related accidents stemming from drug or alcohol use. If you have lost a loved one in a fatal accident, our auto accident lawyers possess the skills and compassion to help you obtain the compensation and justice you deserve. We assist you in dealing with insurance companies that attempt to deny or undervalue your claim for bodily injury and death benefits. We also guide you through a wrongful death lawsuit against negligent parties to obtain a wide range of compensation, including:
- Loss of support and services
- Loss of companionship, protection, instruction and guidance
- Mental pain and suffering
- Medical or funeral expenses
Accidents we can help with in Broward County
Our Fort Lauderdale motor vehicle accident attorneys are prepared to assist you with the gamut of vehicle-related injuries, including those from:
- Automobile accidents: Auto accidents are often caused by negligent drivers who are speeding, texting or talking on cell phones. When a driver fails to obey traffic signs, violates the rules of the road or is distracted and causes an accident, our motor vehicle accident lawyers help you recover the compensation you are entitled to by negotiating with auto insurers for a fair settlement or by pursing your personal injury or wrongful death case in court.
- Motorcycle accidents: Although motorcyclists are frequently unfairly blamed for them, motorcycle accidents are often caused by the negligence of drivers of other, larger vehicles who failed to see the bike on the road. Our lawyers take swift, aggressive action to help you prove liability and protect your right to compensation.
- Truck accidents: When truck accidents occur, drivers and passengers often suffer catastrophic injuries or even death because of the weight and size of the trucks involved. We assist victims and surviving family members in recovering compensation for truck accidents caused by negligent drivers, trucking companies, manufacturers and others.
- DUI-related accidents: When drunk drivers cause an accident, they are not only guilty of the crime of driving under the influence, but they may also be liable for injuries and deaths to other drivers, passengers and pedestrians. Our law firm helps victims of DUI-related accidents recover the compensation they deserve.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorists: Despite Florida’s mandatory insurance laws, many drivers fail to carry insurance. In addition, even when they do carry the minimum insurance required by law, it is often inadequate to cover the full costs of your medical treatment and other harm. Our lawyers help victims of accidents recover compensation from their insurers, if possible, after accidents with uninsured or underinsured drivers.
- Determining fault: Our law firm guides you through each step of your recovery, including helping you understand your rights and determining fault. As experienced trial lawyers, we help you obtain the compensation you are entitled to from the responsible driver and their insurance company.
- Auto defects: Although it may not be immediately apparent, manufacturing defects cause many vehicle accidents. Auto defects may involve a defective design, such as a propensity to roll over, or defects in the manufacturing process, such as faulty brakes or air bags. When an auto defect causes you injuries or the loss of a loved one, we help you hold the manufacturers liable.
Contact our Fort Lauderdale auto accident attorneys as soon as possible to protect your right to compensation
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a vehicle accident, it is important to contact an experienced Fort Lauderdale auto accident attorney as soon as possible to protect your right to sue for compensation. Under Florida law, you may have as little as four years to recover the money you deserve. To learn more about car accidents and how we can help, contact Boone & Davis, Attorneys at Law online or call 954-566-9919 today for a free initial consultation.