What Not to Do After an Accident
The hours and days following an accident in which you suffer injury can be confusing and stressful. Nevertheless, mistakes made during this time period can affect the entire life of your civil case. Since it is common for a significant amount of time to pass between when an accident occurs and when an attorney gets involved, it is crucial that accident victims remain careful of saying or doing anything during the early stages that could harm their claims down the road.
Following involvement in an accident — whether an auto collision, slip and fall, or other mishap — there are several common mistakes injury victims should take care to avoid. Consider the following:
- Refrain from giving a statement to the other insurance company — Defendants’ insurers often swoop in quickly after accidents to try to get statements and concessions before the injured can consult an attorney.
- Seek medical treatment rather than avoiding or refusing it — Even if your pain seems minor at first, it may get worse over time. If you refuse medical treatment at the time of the accident, it is almost certain to be used against you later and can make it difficult to link the accident to any injuries that do surface.
- Do not forget no-fault benefits — In the case of vehicle accidents, your own insurance may provide some benefits such as personal injury protection (PIP) that can hold you over while your claim proceeds.
- Be careful with your own insurance company — If your case requires you to claim against your own UM/UIM insurance coverage, your own insurance company could become an adverse party. Remember this when communicating with them.
- Do not lose track — While it can be difficult, it is important to keep track of the doctors you see and the witnesses and evidence that may be crucial to your claim. This information slips away more quickly than you can imagine. Keep written logs, if you can.
Seek support from a lawyer after suffering a personal injury in Fort Lauderdale or elsewhere in Florida. A professional can prevent you from making errors and provide a wide range of legal options depending on the details of your case.