Motorcycle Crash Claims Life Of South Florida Native Sports Figure
A South Florida native, Tray Walker, most recently was playing for the Baltimore Ravens. He became one of the latest motorcycle accident statistics and, unfortunately, later died from the injuries he sustained in a tragic accident recently. According to the reports, Walker was wearing dark clothing while riding his dirt bike when he was involved in a collision with a Ford Escape on a Thursday evening. The reports also indicate that the dirt bike did not have lights on. Walker suffered head injuries and underwent surgery, but ultimately lost his battle.
The High Rate Of Motorcycle Accidents In Southern Florida
Motorcycle accidents occur at an alarming rate in our area and each year far too many victims lose their lives as a result. A report from several years ago includes a motorcyclist’s allegation that the rise in numbers of motorcycle accidents is the result of a greater number of distracted car and truck drivers who are on cell phones. Looking at it from the other side, car and truck drivers claim that motorcyclists drive recklessly, cutting in and out of traffic, and that their own behavior is an important factor in the equation. The article notes that a Florida Department of Transportation study found that car and truck drivers are more often at fault in crashes involving motorcycles. The study notes that one of the problems that leads to motorcycle accidents is that four-wheeled drivers have a harder time seeing motorcyclists, as motorcycles have smaller profiles. The bottom line is that while each side can throw the blame to the other side, both sides have to work together to lower the statistics and make the roads safer for all drivers, regardless of whether they are on two wheels, four, or even more.
What Are The Common Causes Of Motorcycle Crashes?
We have established that motorcycle crashes happen too often, but in order to lower the statistics, it is important to know what types of actions cause accidents. Some of the more common causes of motorcycle crashes include the following:
- Left-turning vehicles create dangerous situations for motorcyclists when vehicle drivers make a left turn do not see motorcyclists who are driving straight;
- Because of a motorcycle’s smaller profile, perception of speed and distance is sometimes different than with larger vehicles;
- Head-on collisions are far more dangerous for motorcyclists than four-wheeled drivers; motorcyclists involved in these types of accidents die more often than as a result of any other type of crash;
- Motorcyclists driving between two lanes of cars in backed-up traffic create dangerous situations for themselves and other drivers; and
- Road hazards including debris in the road or potholes are far more dangerous for motorcyclists than for larger, four-wheeled vehicles.
Contact Us for Assistance
If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of a motorcycle accident, contact Boone & Davis in Fort Lauderdale. We have years of experience handling all types of vehicle accidents – including those involving motorcycles – and can help you to understand your rights and responsibilities with respect to your accident case. Contact us by phone at 954.556.5260 or online to schedule your no cost, no obligation consultation.