Fort Lauderdale Strip Club Shooting Attorney
When you know that the top locations for gun violence in the US are homes, parking lots, and convenience stores, you probably see little cause for concern when enjoying a visit to a strip club. Unfortunately, statistics from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence reveal that no location is entirely safe from shootings. Every day, 316 people are shot in the US. It is encouraging to learn that 210 of these victims survive their injuries, but their lives are forever changed by a strip club shooting. For families who lost a loved one, the losses are devastating.
Strip clubs certainly carry a reputation, but this factor does not excuse owners and operators from their duty to provide a safe premises for guests. Parties can be held liable for negligent security, and Boone & Davis, Attorneys at Law has extensive experience representing victims. Please contact us to schedule a complimentary consultation with a Fort Lauderdale strip club shootings attorney, and check out some general information about your rights.
Premises Liability Concepts Apply to Strip Clubs
When a strip club shooting occurs, negligent security is usually behind the incident. To obtain compensation as a victim, you must prove the four essential elements of a premises liability case:
- The strip club owner had a duty to maintain the space in a safe condition, an obligation that applies to all property owners regardless of their business focus.
- The owner, operator, or other party in charge of the strip club breached this legal duty, such as by failing to install locking doors, implement cameras, and hire a security guard.
- The breach of duty was the direct cause of the strip club shooting, such that you would not have been hurt but for the breach.
- You suffered physical, emotional, and financial losses because of being shot.
With solid evidence of these elements, you may be eligible to recover damages for your medical costs, pain and suffering, and emotional distress after a strip club shooting.
Challenges in the Legal Process
As with many other personal injury matters, your first step is filing a claim with the insurance company that covers the strip club. If the insurer denies or makes a lowball counteroffer, you must go to court to obtain fair compensation. There can be challenges in the process, so our Fort Lauderdale strip club shootings attorneys at Boone & Davis will address:
- Any claims that you contributed to the incident, such as by instigating an altercation;
- Allegations of trespassing, which would preclude you from recovering damages; and,
- Florida’s statute of limitations that bars you from obtaining compensation you do not file a lawsuit within four years after the incident.
Our Fort Lauderdale Strip Club Shootings Lawyers are Prepared for Challenges
From the above, you can see that legal representation is critical for protecting your rights. Boone & Davis, Attorneys at Law is committed to helping victims, so please call 954-566-9919 or visit our website to set up a free case review. A skilled South Florida strip club shootings attorney can advise you after assessing your situation.