Fort Lauderdale 7/11 Shooting Attorney
Whether due to their location, late-night hours, or offerings like alcohol and tobacco, 7/11s in South Florida have a reputation for violence and shootings. Industry statistics reveal that there is some truth to this view, as more than 20,000 such incidents occur at these and other convenience stores annually. While the offender may face jail time, punishment does little to compensate victims for their losses. At the same time, pursuing an assailant for monetary damages rarely results in a favorable outcome.
However, you may have legal remedies against the store’s owner or operator if you were hurt in a 7/11 shooting. The basis for liability is termed negligent security, since these businesses have a duty to protect guests. The Boone & Davis, Attorneys at Law can explain how these claims work and assist with the process, so please contact us to set up a free consultation with a Fort Lauderdale 7/11 shootings attorney. An overview about the relevant legal concepts may also be useful.
Overview of Negligent Security Laws in Florida
There are two sources of law that provide victims with options after a 7/11 shooting:
- Premises Liability: Property owners are required to maintain their premises in a reasonably safe condition, and this duty makes it necessary to protect against foreseeable criminal activity. A 7/11 puts guests at risk through the failure to install security cameras, hire a guard, and implement other appropriate measures.
- Violation of Statute: There is a Florida statute that specifically applies to convenience stores like 7/11s, and it includes a list of mandatory security measures. A violation of the law may be proof of negligence per se, giving you an advantage in seeking compensation. However, the statute also creates a safe harbor for the 7/11 owner who does fully comply with the law.
What To Do After a 7/11 Shooting
With solid evidence and a strong legal strategy, it is possible to recover amounts for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, and emotional losses. As a result, one of your first priorities is contacting a Fort Lauderdale 7/11 shooting lawyer for assistance with your claim. Our Boone & Davis team will tackle the important tasks, including an investigation and filing an insurance claim under the 7/11 owner’s policy. We will diligently work towards a settlement agreement, but we will file a lawsuit if the insurer declines to pay fair compensation.
Some To-Do’s on your part will also support your claim.
- Get medical attention immediately.
- Gather evidence at the scene, if your injuries allow it.
- If contacted by an insurer, do not make statements or answer questions.
- Never sign any documentation from the insurance company without legal advice.
Consult with Our Fort Lauderdale 7/11 Shootings Attorneys About Your Rights
From this summary, you can see that retaining legal representation is critical for getting fair compensation. Our team at Boone & Davis, Attorneys at Law is committed to assisting victims, so please contact us today. You can schedule a no-cost consultation with a South Florida 7/11 shootings lawyer by calling 954-566-9919 or visiting us online.