Where do Most Slip and Fall Accidents Occur?
Slip and fall accidents are difficult to anticipate as they can take place just about anywhere, although there are certain places where these types of accidents are more likely to occur, including grocery stores, restaurants, and parking lots. Where a slip and fall accident occurs has significant bearing on how a plaintiff goes about filing a claim, so if you were hurt on someone else’s property, it is important to speak with an experienced Fort Lauderdale slip and fall attorney who can advise you.
What is a Slip and Fall Accident?
Slip and fall cases cover a wide range of accidents, including slips, which occur when there isn’t enough traction between a person’s floor and their feet, and trips, which are more likely to occur when a person’s foot strikes an object, resulting in that individual losing his or her balance. Most slips take place as a result of stepping on a spill or loose or unanchored flooring, while trips can often be linked to the presence of clutter in walkways, uneven walking surfaces, poor lighting, or uncovered cables.
Whether a person slips or trips, he or she could be entitled to compensation provided by the property owner if there is evidence that:
- The premises owner’s actions resulted in the creation of the dangerous surface that caused the injury; or
- The property owner knew that the danger existed, but failed to take steps to remedy it; or
- The property owner would have known about the problem if he or she had taken reasonable steps to inspect the premises.
Successful plaintiffs who can prove that one of these elements has been fulfilled, could be eligible for damages compensating them for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Common Slip and Fall Locations
Slip and fall hazards are present everywhere, but there are certain places where these hazards are more likely to exist, including at:
- Grocery stores, where spills are much more common than at other locations;
- Restaurants and bars, which are more likely to have poor lighting and slippery floors from food and drink spills;
- Gyms and training facilities, which often have slick floors in their locker rooms, shower areas, and bathrooms, as well as unwieldy and dangerous equipment;
- Sidewalks and driveways, which, when broken, cracked, wet, or icy can result in serious falls;
- Retail stores that have poor lighting, clutter in the aisles, or spills;
- Swimming pools;
- Escalators and elevators, which can cause trip and fall accidents if poorly maintained or malfunctioning; and
- The workplace, specifically in the construction, manufacturing, transportation, and warehousing industries.
If you were injured after slipping and falling on this type of property, the owner of the premises could be held liable. Please contact our legal team to find out more about filing a claim in Florida.
An Experienced Slip and Fall Lawyer
To learn more about how to recover damages for your own slip and fall accident-related injuries, please contact the dedicated premises liability legal team at Boone & Davis today. We can be reached at 954-566-9919 or via online message.