Actor Loses Life In Freak Vehicle Accident
So far this year we have seen the news filled with stories of stars lost to old age, drug overdoses, and other various causes – but recently another life was lost due to something that likely could have been prevented. Popular actor Anton Yelchin was killed as a result of his vehicle shifting out of gear, rolling down the driveway after him, pinning him, and crushing him to death. According to reports, the gear shift problem was a known problem for which a recall was in the works; unfortunately it was too late to save Yelchin from a tragic death.
Vehicle Recalls – Preventing Accidents By Proactive Defect Repairs
Recalls are frequently issued when a safety issue is discovered with vehicles and, according to the Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in many circumstances the vehicle manufacturer is the one who issues the recall. In the event that a manufacturer does not initiate the recall, the NHTSA has the authority to require that a recall be issued to address any safety-related defects or failures to meet established safety standards. Safety-related defects are problems with motor vehicles or parts of motor vehicles found in a group of similar vehicles or parts that present risks to motor vehicle safety. Some common types of safety-related defects include:
- Faulty steering components, wheels, or other vehicle components that are prone to breakage which would cause a loss of vehicle control;
- Fuel system problems that can lead to fuel leakage when a vehicle is involved in a crash;
- Defective accelerators that stick and cause a driver to lose control of the vehicle;
- Components or equipment such as ramps or jacks that break and injure repairmen working on the vehicle;
- Defective seat belts or safety harnesses that fail to remain secure during a collision;
- Faulty airbags that deploy when they are not supposed to do so; and
- Car seats with defective components that fail to prevent against injury either during an accident or when used outside of a vehicle.
Information Available To Consumers
The NHTSA website offers a wealth of information for consumers who are concerned about vehicle recalls and safety issues associated with them. One of the publications available through NHTSA, Motor Vehicle Safety Defects And Recalls, provides a comprehensive overview of the process and information that interested vehicle owners may find quite helpful.
Contact Us for Help
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident due to a defective automobile, contact the office of Boone & Davis in Fort Lauderdale. Vehicle manufacturers have a responsibility to ensure that their vehicles are free of safety defects. If you have been injured as a result of a defective vehicle, you are entitled to recovery for your losses. Our automobile defect attorneys have a wide variety of experience helping auto accident victims obtain the compensation they deserve. Allow us to use our skills to get the best possible results for you. Contact us online or call us at 954.556.5260 to speak with a legal professional today.